Our History

In January 1952, CLOTH formed as the Community League of West 159th Street under the leadership of Lucille Bulger, a strong advocate for the education and welfare of children. The organization began as a grassroots effort to provide recreational and educational opportunities for the neighborhood’s children and youth. Its first programs were a volunteer-run educational after school program, a young adult etiquette and social skills program, and a family-based neighborhood clean-up initiative. CLOTH has since expanded activities to include community revitalization, business improvement, development and restoration of affordable housing, a New Visions community school for grades 6th – 12th, health services and nutrition, and workforce development.