History and Mission
Of The Heights
Weaving the fabric of our community.
The Community League of the Heights (CLOTH) is a multi-service, community development organization dedicated to supporting and empowering the economically disadvantaged residents of Washington Heights. CLOTH’s holistic approach to community development provides a comprehensive framework of social and neighborhood services to stabilize and strengthen family life.
Throughout its 64-year history, CLOTH has been dedicated to finding solutions to the problems of poverty and disinvestment that confront the neighborhood. We work dynamically to address problems and needs as they arise, keeping pace with the chancing needs and demographics of our residents.
In January 1952, CLOTH formed as the Community League of West 159th Street under the leadership of Lucille Bulger, a strong advocate for the education and welfare of children. The organization began as a grassroots effort to provide recreational and educational opportunities for the neighborhood’s children and youth. Its first programs were a volunteer-run educational after school program, a young adult etiquette and social skills program, and a family-based neighborhood clean-up initiative. CLOTH has since expanded activities to include community revitalization, business improvement, development and restoration of affordable housing, a New Visions community school for grades 6th – 12th, health services and nutrition, and workforce development.
Our mission is to provide the knowledge, resources, and opportunities our residents need to empower themselves and their community. Our work encompasses advocacy, organizing and providing of services related to decent affordable housing, education, health, youth services and neighborhood improvement.